This is all you need.
Small footprint connection with HDMI type-A or type-D.
Requires 2 extra pins on FPGA for IP downstream control.
- Compact / Reduced footprint on PCB necessary for debug.
- Only one connector for up to 4 gigabit transceiver channels.
- Right angle or vertical connectors available.
- High availability of connectors and cables.
- Limited impact on BOM costs.
Looking for a standard alternative?
You can also use from 1 to 4 standard SFP/SFP+ cages.
- Full duplex –no extra pin required from the FPGA package.
HDMI and SFP connection types are available on all EXOSTIV™ Probes.
Either HDMI or SFP must be selected for capturing data. All gigabit transceiver channels must be mapped onto the same type of connector.
Which connector works for you?
1. Is there an existing SFP/SFP+/QSFP/QSP+ directly connected to the FPGA transceivers?
- Check if you can reserve this FPGA resource (and the board connector) for debug – at least temporarily. You’ll need 1 SFP/SFP+ connection per used gigabit transceiver
- QSFP/QSFP+ connectors can be used with a 4xSFP to QSFP cable with splitter.
Note: most of our partners’ boards or FPGA vendor standard demo kits feature SFP/SFP+, quad SFP/SFP+ or QSFP/QSFP+ connectors by default. And they are directly connected to FPGA transceivers.
2. Is there another type of connector directly connected to the FPGA transceivers?
- With a board adapter, you can use EXOSTIV
- FMC (‘FPGA Mezzanine Card’) is a good example.
Exostiv Labs has created a HDMI to FMC module adapter that works with EXOSTIV. Many other FMC to SFP/QSFP adapters can be found commercially.
- Would you like to make your own adapter? We can help and review it with you.
Please contact us for details on our adapters, external references and custom adapters support.
3. For all other cases: you’ll need to modify your board and add a connector.
- Is space on the board critical? Go for HDMI or even Micro-HDMI !
See picture below – this is an Artix-7 board equipped with a tiny micro-HDMI connector, providing up to 4 x 6.6 Gbps bandwidth for debugging FPGA.
Still can’t decide? Check our decision flowchart below
- You do not have space constraints (lucky you)? Pick the one you like: SFP/QSFP/HDMI/micro-HDMI/other (+ adapter).
– List of supported boards from the market.
– Contact us.